SHARE 8 6 COMMENTMORE

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - The state fire marshal's office is urging Tennesseans to keep safety in mind when decorating for the holidays.

Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak says nearly half of holiday decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, two out of every five home decoration fires are started by candles.

Officials suggest Tennesseans use flameless candles, which look and smell like real candles.

However, if traditional candles are used, they suggest keeping them at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.

They also say holiday lights should be checked for frayed wires or any other kind of wear before putting them up.