2 1 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Knoxville firefighters have a stern warning for anyone looking to stay warm in these historically low temperatures.

"Outdoor grills-- those are intended only to be used outdoors. Sometimes we'll see people, when the power is out, they'll reduce to desperate measures and bring those grills indoors. You're putting your family at risk if you do that. Not only fire damage, but it can also result in carbon monoxide poisoning," said Knoxville Fire Captain DJ Corcoran.

Captain Corcoran said people should be aware of their heating sources. If you use a kerosene heater, read the directions and follow them directly.

He also wants to remind people to use proper ventilation, and keep a three-feet radius around the fireplace or things that could burn.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wbir.com/1czFE6K