SHARE 15 2 7 COMMENTMORE

(WBIR) Fire destroyed a Tellico Plains family's home and out building Wednesday morning.

Tellico Volunteer Fire Chief Jamie Sisson said the fire started in a wood heater in the home on Shields Branch Road and spread to the other building on the property.

Chief Sisson said four adults and an 18-month-old child escaped but were not able to save their 2 dogs.

The fire was contained, but still smoldering as of 11:30 Wednesday morning.

Chief Sisson said the family has no insurance on the home.