A condo developer is seeing backlash from neighbors who don't want to see his plan passed.


A Knoxville neighborhood association says they have a solution to prevent a condo development and save a historic home on Kingston Pike.

But the developer who has a contract on the property, Paul Murphy III, says his plan is the only realistic one to save the house.

Thursday night, close to 200 people from the Sequoyah Hills neighborhood association packed their annual meeting.

The main focus of the meeting was to rally against the RP-1, or multi-family zoning of the million dollar Kingston Pike waterfront property.

MORE: Historic Knoxville home's future up for debate

Murphy needs the Knoxville City Council to approve the rezoning to place 28 high-end condos on the lot. He also said he plans to renovate and restore the Christenberry house.

The Metropolitan Planning Commission has already approved the rezoning.

The neighborhood is concerned the rezoning will cause a domino effect of development that will increase traffic problems and hurt the neighborhood's character.

Sequoyah Hills Realty broker Rich Tierney announced a new plan at the meeting. He wants to create a company whose sole purpose is to buy the property and renovate the house while maintaining the current zoning.

He said they would then turn around divide the property into three lots and sell them.

To finance it, he said the company would sell 150-200 shares for $10,000 each.

"I have over 30 people who have already raised their hand and said 'I'm in.' This is the first time I've really told anybody," said Tierney.

A spokesperson for the developer, Mike Cohen, said he didn't think their plan was realistic.

"The neighbors didn't do anything until we came up with a plan to save the house and redevelop the property. We still don't think there is any realistic plan to save the house except ours," Cohen said.

It's up to the city council to make the final decision on the zoning. The issue is on Tuesday night's agenda.

Several city council members attended the meeting.

10News reached out to all of nine of them and most said they have not made a decision yet, but at least one wants a 30-day extension.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wbir.com/1jn3WWo