(WBIR, Knoxville) - Knox Heritage announced Thursday morning its list of the 15 most endangered historic buildings and places in Knoxville and Knox County. Every year, Knox Heritage releases this list during National Preservation Month to raise awareness about these buildings and hopefully bring together the people and resources to save them.
Topping the Fragile Fifteen list are several properties in the historic Fort Sanders neighborhood followed by the Eugenia Williams House on Lyons View Pike. Knoxville College Historic District is also back on the list this year.
The Fragile Fifteen list announcement was held at the former Oakwood School because Knox Heritage leaders say its an example of how the Fragile Fifteen can work.
"It was first listed in 2004 on the endangered list when it was owned by the school system, and it was on the list until 2012. And during that time it deteriorated, the roof collapsed at one point a few years ago, but we worked with Mayor Burchett in Knox County to put out proposals, and Family Pride Corporation stepped up and now they are converting it into senior living," said Executive Director of Knox Heritage Kim Trent.
1. Historic Fort Sanders Neighborhood
- Fort Sanders House and Grocery - 307 18th Street
- 1802,1804,1810 Highland Ave.
- White Avenue Houses - 1302,1308,1312 White Ave.
- The Pickle Mansion - 1633 Clinch Ave.
2. The Eugenia Williams House - 4848 Lyons View Pike
3. Tennessee Supreme Court Building - 617 Cumberland Ave.
4. Isaac Anderson Cabin - Creekrock Lane - Shannondale Valley Farms
5. Pryor Brown Garage - 314 & 322 W. Church Avenue
6. French Broad River Corridor
7. The Legg-England House - 8010 Rutledge Pike
8. Kern's Bakery Building - 2110 Chapman Highway
9. Standard Knitting Mill - 1400 Washington Ave.
10. University of Tennessee, Knoxville Campus
- Melrose Hall - 1616 Melrose Ave.
- Estabrook Hall - 1012 Estabrook Rd.
11. Magnolia Avenue Corridor
- Magnolia Avenue United Methodist Church - 2700 E. Magnolia Ave.
- Rabbit & Poultry Barn - Chilhowee Park
12. Historic Buildings
- South High School - 801 Tipton Ave.
- Rule High School - 1901 Vermont Ave.
- Giffin School - 1834 Beach St.
13. Knoxville College Historic District - 901 Knoxville College Drive
- McKee Hall
- Wallace Hall
- Elnathan Hall
- McMillan Chapel
- Giffen Memorial Gymnasium
- President's House
14. The H.E. Christenberry House - 3222 Kingston Pike
15. The Lloyd Branson House - 1423 Branson Ave.