8 3 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Firefighters struggled to put out a house fire early this morning due to a dangerous amount of clutter in the home.

The Knoxville Fire Department responded to a call on the 400 block of Mayfield Avenue in South Knoxville after the owner smelled something burning inside.

The 60-year-old woman and her two dogs were able to get out of the house safely.

At this time, we do not know the extent of the damage. What we do know, is the house is not a total loss.

The clutter caused firefighters to have trouble moving around the home.

According to DJ Corcoran with KFD, clutter and hoarding can cause issues in your home that makes the job more difficult for the firefighters.

The clutter gets in the way, making it hard to walk. It also can harm the home's foundation, as the clutter decomposes and creates weight on the floors.

"We encourage family members to check on people who may have these tendencies. To collect things and hoard. And try and encourage them not to do that. Which is a task in itself," said Corcoran.

The woman will seek temporary shelter provided by the American Red Cross.

8 3 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wbir.com/SZz2IY