276 31 LINKEDIN 6 COMMENTMORE

(WBIR) The Campbell County Sheriff's Office confirmed a school shooter is back in custody after he tried to hit two deputies.

Wednesday night, Kenneth Bartley Jr.'s father texted and called his son's probation officer, saying his son had "gone crazy," according to the arrest warrant. At about 9:15 p.m., deputies arrived at the father's home in LaFollette and found Bartley Jr. drinking on the porch.

When a deputy put his hand on Bartley's back and asked him if was okay, the report said Bartley jumped out of his seat, took off his shirt and tried to hit two deputies. As deputies forced him to the ground, Bartley grabbed a shoe and threw it at them. Bartley then jumped to his feet.

One of the deputies pulled out a taser and told Bartley to get on the ground. Bartley complied and the deputies arrested him.

Officials charged Bartley with two counts of assault on a police officer. Authorities also said Bartley violated his bond conditions because he was drinking. Campbell County chief deputy Aaron Evans confirmed Bartley will be held without bond until further notice.

This is the second time in a month that officials arrested Bartley. In June, deputies took Bartley into custody after his father said his son threatened to kill him.

Last month, officials said Bartley also became violent when they arrested him in June. When deputies put him into the patrol car during that incident, the arrest report said Bartley unlocked the back door and tried to run away. But deputies quickly ran him down. The arrest report said Bartley then kicked deputies and tried to headbutt them. Deputies said they were forced to stun Bartley with a taser.

After the arrest in June, Bartley's father put up the $2,000 bond to release his son from jail. As he walked out of the Campbell County Jail in June, Bartley vowed to reporters that he planned to get help and talked about his goals.

MORE: School shooter vows to get help, do the right thing

"To become a successful, meaningful member of society," Bartley told WBIR 10News in June. "To do the right thing. Get away from the life I had all the way up until now."

MORE: Bartley released; found not guilty of first-degree murder

Thursday, Don Bosch, 10News Legal Analyst and local attorney, said Bartley will likely spend weeks to months behind bars, unless both sides agree to bond or a custodial removal to an inpatient treatment facility.

"Despite the public sentiment about Mr. Bartley, and the underlying felony offense that occurred eight years ago, we need to , as a society, deal with mental health issues in ways that help defendants and help patients cope with their problems without just warehousing them in jail," said Bosch. "No matter what happens to Mr. Bartley in this case, he's going to get back out, and without sufficient medical help and treatment, if in fact that's what he needs, we're just going to be revisiting this problem. And this is a problem that happens every day in every court system in America."

Bosch said the maximum sentence for Bartley's misdemeanors is 11 months and 29 days per count, if convicted. He said it is unlikely a judge will stack the sentences.

"Lawyers and good lawyers, typically that are involved in this type of case, will look at it and probably propose or suggest types of inpatient treatment in lieu of actual jail," said Bosch.

In February, Bartley was convicted of reckless homicide in the 2005 fatal shooting of Campbell County High School assistant principal Ken Bruce. Two other administrators were also hurt in that 2005 shooting.

MORE : Bartley verdict receives mixed reactions

276 31 LINKEDIN 6 COMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wbir.com/1lVVvOr