There's lot going on in downtown Knoxville this weekend! But all of those folks heading to the various events should be aware of road closures and road work that could affect traffic.
The Kuumba Festival and parade are in Market Square Friday night. On Saturday, Knoxville Pridefest will be held on World's Fair Park South Lawn, the Big Kahuna Wing Festival will be on the World's Fair Park North Lawn. Also on Saturday are the Market Square Farmers' Market and Knoxville Brewfest along Depot Avenue and the Gay Street Viaduct. (Click on the names to be redirected to the festivals' websites for more information)
Here's a rundown of events and street closures from the City of Knoxville:
KUB utility work
- West Jackson Avenue – Westbound lane closed between North Gay Street and Broadway, 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m. today (Thursday). All lanes will be closed on this section of West Jackson starting at 10:30 p.m. today (Thursday) and until 6 a.m. Friday, June 20. Detour routes include North Broadway, West Depot Avenue and North Gay Street.
- South 17th Street – Northbound curbside lane closed between Cumberland Avenue and White Avenue, from 10 p.m. today (Thursday) to 6 a.m. Friday.
- Gay Street — Northbound curbside lane between West Hill Avenue and Main Street closed, from 6 a.m. Saturday to 4 p.m. Sunday.
- Clinch Avenue, State Street — Loading zones closed, 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- Jackson Avenue, Gay Street and Clinch Avenue — Noon Saturday parade starts at Jackson Avenue parking lot, then turns from Jackson onto Gay Street, then to Clinch Avenue, then onto World's Fair Park.
- The public festival, with music, speakers, vendors and displays, will be offered from 1-8 p.m. Saturday on the park's South Lawn.
Big Kahuna Wing Festival
- World's Fair Park Drive — Closed between Clinch and Grand avenues, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday.
- The wing festival and competition will be noon-8 p.m. Saturday on the park's North Lawn.
- Gay Street — Closed 7 a.m.-midnight Saturday between Jackson Avenue and Magnolia Avenue. No parking on the Gay Street Viaduct beginning at 6 a.m. Saturday.
- Depot Avenue – Closed 7 a.m. to midnight Saturday between Williams and Conrad streets.
- The fourth annual Brewfest, hosted by Defeat Duchenne to raise money for medical research and treatment, is a craft beer sampling event that features more than four dozen breweries.
Market Square Farmers' Market
- Market Street — Closed 7 a.m.-3 p.m. between Union and Clinch avenues
- The market, featuring locally grown produce as well as local meats, coffees and crafts, will be offered on Market Square, Union Avenue and Market Street, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
Other road work leading to closures:
- 400 block of Gay Street – A private contractor will be using a crane to lift materials, which will close a northbound parking lane and a traffic lane on Gay Street at the Art Market Building, 7-11 a.m. Sunday, June 22. A section of the east sidewalk will be closed as a safety precaution, though intermittent sidewalk openings are possible. No lane or sidewalk closures are planned on the west side of Gay Street, and the crane use and lane closure are to end by 11 a.m.
- Clinch and White avenues – KUB's summer-long PACE 10 wastewater collection system improvement project is scheduled to last into August in the eastern section of Fort Sanders. Work will continue on a section of Clinch Avenue, between 11th and 14th streets, through Friday, June 20. Next week, upgrade work will move to White Avenue, between James Agee and 14th streets.