University of Tennessee Extension Agent Heather Kyle shares some tips for controlling your food's portion sizes
Choose a colorful fruit for dessert
Drink low-fat or fat-free milk
Start the day with a good breakfast
Eat regular, structured meals
Drink water or unsweetened beverages instead of sugar-sweetened beverages
Healthy Plate Method
Fill 1/2 of your plate with non-starchy vegetables
-A 1/2 cup serving of vegetables will fill 1/4 of the plate
Fill 1/4 of the plate with a whole-grain starchy food
Fill 1/4 of the plate with protein (meat, chicken, fish, dry beans or peas).
*Created by Dr. Betty Greer, Professor and Nutrition Specialist, family and consumer sciences
Animal Encounter Village
(Information provided by Tina Rolen, Knoxville Zoo)
Knoxville Zoo's popular "Animal Encounter Village" is back for the summer!
· Animal Encounter Village gives zoo-visitors to get very up close and personal with some of the zoo's animal ambassadors, including reptiles, birds of prey, out-of-the ordinary insects and furry small mammals.
· Visitors can opt to touch some of Animal Encounter Village's residents and learn some fascinating animal facts from the Village animal educators.
· Animal Encounter Village also lets guests get hands-on with a wide array of "biofacts", such as rhino horns and elephant tusks.
· Little visitors may also enjoy going on an archeological "dig" while they're in the Village to see what they can unearth.
· Animal Encounter Village is open every day except Tuesdays from 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
· Animal Encounter Village is included with zoo admission.
Young Williams Memorial Day Weekend Deal
(Information provided by Lauren Christ, Moxley-Carmichael)
In honor of Memorial Day weekend from Friday-Monday, May 24-27, Young-Williams Animal Center is offering $50 off the adoption fee for all puppies and kittens as well as $25 off the adoption fee for all adult dogs and cats.
To adopt, please visit the two conveniently located Knoxville adoption facilities: Young-Williams Animal Center at 3201 Division Street and Young-Williams Animal Village at 6400 Kingston Pike. The Lost and Found Center is located at Young-Williams Animal Center on Division Street.
For more information, call 865-215-6599, visit www.young-williams.org or visit www.facebook.com/knoxpets
(information provided by Mary Pom Claiborne, Knox County Public Library)
Dollywood's Imagination Playhouse is coming to the Library!
One Cool Friend, featuring an original song by Dolly Parton, will kick off the Children's Festival of Reading and tour 10 branches of the Knox County Public Library
One Cool Friend kicks off the Children's Festival of Reading on May 18 at 10:00 a.m. in World's Fair Park.
The free performances will tour the following branch libraries:
Karns May 20 at 11:00 a.m.
North Knoxville May 20 at 4:00 p.m.
Murphy May 21 at 10:30 a.m.
Farragut May 21 at 4:00 p.m.
Sequoyah May 22 at 11:00 a.m.
Howard Pinkston May 22 at 3:00 p.m.
Carter May 23 at 10:30 a.m.
South Knoxville May 23 at 3:30 p.m.
Powell May 24 at 10:30 a.m.
Fountain City May 24 at 2:00 p.m.