1 1 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

(WBIR) The Tennessee Department of Transportation awarded the City of Knoxville a $1 million grant to fund improvements to a busy north Knoxville intersection.

The project would improve traffic flow and pedestrian access for Merchants Drive intersection to Clinton Highway.

TDOT said it will provide 95 percent of the project, and the city will cover the remaining 5 percent.

"This is an exciting project because it makes the area around the intersection of Merchant Drive and Clinton Highway much friendlier to pedestrians and improves access to transit while improving motor vehicle flow through the intersection," said Jim Hagerman, the city's director of engineering, in a statement.

The project would include some of the following improvements: realign left turns; add appropriate pedestrian crossing times to the signal; improve and extend sidewalks; modify curb lines along Clinton Highway.

City officials approved the project's design during Fiscal Year 2013. Construction will require an additional $600,000 in local funds.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wbir.com/Qghxne