SHARE 11 3 COMMENTMORE

A small fire made a big impact in the lives of 25 people in East Tennessee Thursday.

The Oak Ridge fire department responded to a call at 184 Hillside Road a little bit before noon. While on the scene, they found a small fire in the basement of an apartment building.

Firefighters put out the fire within minutes. They say an electrical short sparked the flames.

While the incident was short-lived, residents in the building still had to stay elsewhere for the night. The electrical short left the building without power.

The American Red Cross came to the rescue and gave some of those families a place to stay Thursday night. The agency paid for the hotel expenses of five families. The remaining families stayed with friends.Dana Russell lives in that apartment. She said while the incident left her a bit aggravated this Thanksgiving, she was just happy no got hurt.

"We got a lot to be thankful for tonight," Russell said.

Oak Ridge Fire Chief Darryl Kerley said there was hope the electrical system in the apartment could be fixed Friday. He said no one could be reached to fix the problem Thursday due to the Thanksgiving holiday.

SHARE 11 3 COMMENTMORE