14 3 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

(WBIR) An Anderson County couple escaped their home before it burned to the ground Tuesday morning.

The home on the 110 block of Tobby Hollow Lane in Claxton caught fire at about 3:45 a.m.

The couple's adult son, who lived behind the house, noticed flames and smoke coming for his parent's home and told them to get out.

When a firefighter who lived nearby arrived at the scene, about 30-40 percent of the four-story house was on fire. By the time the first fire truck arrived, flames covered 60 percent of the home.

Crews from Claxton Volunteer, Karns, and Medford Volunteer fire departments were on-scene for about 5 hours trying to put out the flames.

Donnie Shipley, a captain with the Claxton Fire Department, said the bitter cold temperatures presented quite a challenge.

"I'll take the extreme heat over the cold any day," said Shipley.

Shipley said crews had a tough time opening the fire hydrant because of the below-freezing temperatures. As firefighters sprayed the home, water froze mid-air.

EMS treated one of the homeowners for smoke inhalation on the scene. No other injuries were reported.

The home is a complete loss, and the American Red Cross is finding the couple shelter.

14 3 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wbir.com/1cygKnR