SHARE 170 6 COMMENTMORE

At Tuesday's Anderson County Board of Education meeting, a group of teachers, principals, and other staff members were honored for saving a student's life.

Just a month ago, Brittany Overton went into cardiac shock. Thanks to the quick thinking of these staff members, she was treated.

Brittany Overton is a student at Anderson County High School. In January, she had a day she will never forget. She collapsed from cardiac arrest and was helped by a crew of school faculty members and an Automated External Defibrillator, or an AED machine.

Back on her feet, Brittany attended the board of education meeting. Leaders honored the crew of teachers, principals, and staff members that helped bring her back to health.

"Everything came together so well. I wouldn't want to do it again, but if I had to do it again, I would want the same people there," said teacher April Freeman.

Freeman and her husband helped revive Brittany. After two attempts, the teenager's heart started to beat again with the help of the AED.

MORE: Team of principals, teachers save student's life

"It's funny because I teach CPR, I teach American CPR, and I always tell my kids about the AED but I never used an actual AED out in public. I have been in a controlled situation in a hospital where you have the cart and a rapid response team. It's a whole lot different. And I guess I actually got to practice what I preach," said Freeman.

"The important part to remember in this story is if you have the AED and trained personnel, survival is above 50 percent. Maybe 75. In comparison, without that response, survival is five percent or less," said Dr. Jeff Jennings with Children's Hospital.

Brittany's mom, Kim Smith, gave a speech about how much the rescue means to her, to have a crew that didn't miss a beat when it came to saving her daughter.

Brittany now has a defibrillator inside her to help keep her heart on track.

If the beat ever becomes irregular, the device will give her heart a shock, bringing it back to a normal pace.

Smith said she is willing to speak to the importance of having an AED on hand at schools around the area.

SHARE 170 6 COMMENTMORE