4 6 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

(WBIR) An Oak Ridge woman and her two children were forced out of their home Sunday after fire broke out while they were cooking Easter lunch.

Fire Chief Darryl Kerly said crews responded to a stove fire call on Wade Lane around 10 a.m. Easter morning.

Keryl said a woman was cooking when a pan of grease began heavily smoking. She then tried to clear out the smoke by opening a window and door when flames quickly spread from the pan to the kitchen cabinets.

Fire crews made it to the scene and quickly put out the fire, but it had already advanced into the apartment living rooms and out the kitchen window to a bedroom above.

The mother and her two children are being assisted by the Red Cross for food, clothing and lodging. Three nearby apartments suffered light smoke damage, but the occupants of those were able to return.

No injuries have been reported.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wbir.com/1kQ8Ivm