At least four families across East Tennessee are without their homes in the coldest weather we've seen in decades.
Fire destroyed houses in Blount, Morgan, Monroe, and Anderson Counties in less than 24 hours and that doesn't include a number of other small fires in the area.
While no one was seriously injured, fire crews worked for hours in the single digit temperatures and icy conditions to stop the fires from spreading.
Two fires in Blount county-- one to a single man's home on Farris Road and another to a guest house on Mentor Road-- came at the price of trying to stay warm. Blount County Fire Protection District Chief, Doug McClanahan, said both started in chimneys.
In Monroe County, a family with four children under age 6 lost their home in what appears to be an electrical fire. The smallest child was just a few weeks old. Tellico Volunteer Fire Chief Jamie Sisson said the Red Cross and area churches are helping the family.
In the Lansing area of Morgan County, dispatch said icy roads made it difficult to reach a house on fire on Adams Ridge Road. Dispatch said crews made it to the top and were battling the blaze.
In the Claxton area of Anderson County, a couple's son saw smoke from a neighboring home and alerted them before their house burned to the ground.
When a firefighter who lived nearby arrived at the scene, about 30-40 percent of the four-story house was on fire. By the time the first fire truck arrived, flames covered 60 percent of the home.
Crews from Claxton Volunteer, Karns, and Medford Volunteer fire departments were on-scene for about 5 hours trying to put out the flames.
Donnie Shipley, a captain with the Claxton Fire Department, said the bitter cold temperatures presented quite a challenge.
"I'll take the extreme heat over the cold any day," said Shipley.
Shipley said crews had a tough time opening the fire hydrant because of the below-freezing temperatures. As firefighters sprayed the home, water froze mid-air.
EMS treated one of the homeowners for smoke inhalation on the scene. No other injuries were reported.
The home is a complete loss, and the American Red Cross is finding the couple shelter.