67 13 4 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

(WBIR) Several families are safe following a fire at a Gatlinburg condominium.

The fire broke out at the Gatlinburg Summit condominium on Ski View Drive at about 6 a.m. Wednesday.

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge fire departments were able to get the fire under control in several hours. Crews said the blaze damaged all 12 units, but only four were occupied Wednesday.

The Gatlinburg fire chief said the fire apparently started while someone was using a microwave to cook breakfast. The person tried to extinguish the fire, but couldn't because of the smoke. The families were able to get out of safely because they heard banging on their doors and smelled smoke.

Jill Gembecki who was staying there with her family said it felt like a dream, but she is thankful her family is safe.

"We went and got in the car, and I cried and prayed with my kids," said Gembecki. "They were all worried about their stuff, and I said none of that matters it's all material. We're out we're safe, and thank God everyone else got out too."

Three people had to be rescued from a window after they woke up and found the hallway filled with smoke. They waited on the balcony for firefighters to get there, and they were brought to the ground safely.

"That stuff in there is stuff. This is not stuff. We're thankful that he's happy and healthy, and we're healthy. So we're all good. And Red Cross gave us this cute little dog outfit, so thank you Red Cross. We appreciate you," said one of the people rescued from the burning building.

Officials confirmed the condos were all up to code, including the one that caught on fire. The investigation is still underway.

67 13 4 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wbir.com/QcLUuJ