(WBIR - Sevierville) The City of Sevierville handed out honors Monday to several civil servants who helped save the lives of an elderly couple.
City leaders honored Officers Graham Ownby, Mike Lequire, Eric Denton and Thomas Thompson, as well as Firefighters Andrew Wilson, John Satterfield and Andy Johnson after they saved the couple from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The officers and firefighters responded to a burglary alarm just before 5 a.m. June 10, but when they got to the couple's house, they found the woman semi-conscious and her husband completely unconscious inside their home. The officers said the couple had apparently left their car running in the garage the previous night
, and carbon monoxide had leaked throughout the house.
The officers performed first aid until an ambulance arrived to take them the hospital. They said this is just part of their job, but it's always an honor to be recognized.
"You know, being in this profession," said Johnson. "Sometimes we get looked over, but I mean, saving a man's life, it's really an honor to get an award for this."
Both victims are now okay after a brief stay in the hospital.