SHARECOMMENTMORE

By Susan Davis, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON--A new use-of-force resolution proposed in the Senatewould set a 60-day deadline for military action in Syria, with one30-day extension possible, according to a draft of the resolution.

Theproposal, drafted by Sens. Robert Menendez and Bob Corker, the chairmanand ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, will alsobar the involvement of U.S. ground forces in Syria, according to thedraft resolution.

"Together we have pursued a course of actionthat gives the President the authority he needs to deploy force inresponse to the Assad regime's criminal use of chemical weapons againstthe Syrian people, while assuring that the authorization is narrow andfocused, limited in time, and assures that the Armed Forces of theUnited States will not be deployed for combat operations in Syria,"Menendez said in a statement.

The resolution could be voted on by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee as early as Wednesday.

Meanwhile,in the House, Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., and Gerald Connolly, D-Va.,introduced a draft resolution that would limit the duration ofPresident Obama's authority to 60 days.

It also specificallyprohibits any American forces on the ground in Syria and restricts thepresident from repeating the use of force beyond the initial punitivestrikes unless Obama certifies to Congress that the Syrian forces haverepeated their use of chemical weapons;

Earlier on Tuesday, Obamasaid he was open to lawmakers rewriting his resolution seekingauthorization for the use of force, which was criticized as too broad inscope by lawmakers on both sides of the aisle.

"I would not begoing to Congress if I wasn't serious about consultations," Obama said."I'm confident that we're going to be able to come up with somethingthat hits that mark."

SHARECOMMENTMORE