4 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

A suspect has been "neutralized" after a shooting Monday at Sparks Middle School, police in Sparks, Nev., said.

The Reno Gazette-Journal, citing Sparks City Manager Shawn Carey, said one student was transported to an area hospital and that the shooter is dead by a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

"We believe the suspect has been neutralized," the Sparks Police Department said on its website, without further details.

Angela Rambo, spokeswoman for Renown Regional Hospital, said they have received two male patients, both minors, and both are in critical condition.

Police spokesman Rocky Triplett said students had been evacuated from the school to nearby Agnes Risley Elementary School, the newspaper said. The students from both schools were then being moved to Sparks High School.

The newspaper reported that a 12-year-old boy was shot as classes were starting, and the school was placed on lockdown. There was no information on other possible victims.

The streets around the three schools were ringed with emergency vehicles following the shooting. Parents are being allowed to pick up children, but otherwise streets in the area were closed.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wbir.com/1gyv0Su