1 3 LINKEDIN 1 COMMENTMORE

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - North Korea state media say an elderly U.S. tourist detained for more than a month has apologized for alleged crimes during the Korean War and for "hostile acts" against the state during a recent trip.

There was no direct word from 85-year old Merrill Newman and his alleged apology released Saturday couldn't be independently confirmed. Pyongyang has been accused of previously coercing statements from detainees.

Pyongyang says the war veteran allegedly attempted to meet with surviving soldiers he had trained during the Korean War and that he admitted killing civilians.

It wasn't clear what would happen to Newman now. But the statement alleges that Newman says if he goes back to the U.S. he will tell the truth about the country.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wbir.com/ImO9aE