Federal judge in Boston scheduled Friday to have hearing on dozens of lawsuits.

SHARE 3 26 COMMENTMORE

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Nearly a year after she began her first recovery, Joan Peay, a victim of the fungal meningitis outbreak, has returned to her home after undergoing months of treatment from a relapse of the sometimes-fatal disease.

Peay is the only known victim to suffer a relapse. The recurrence of the meningitis put her in the hospital early this fall and she finally was discharged late last week but still is very weak.

STORY: Relapse leaves Tenn. woman 'much worse'
STORY: Meningitis relapse reported in Tenn.

"Not very good," Peay said Thursday when asked how she was doing.

Powerful antifungal medications she has been forced to take for a second time have had multiple side effects, including nausea and general weakness, which persists even with medication designed to combat it, she said. She has had trouble holding food down even with anti-nausea treatments; she has experienced memory lapses.

Despite her discharge from St. Thomas West Hospital, Peay said she must continue to take the antifungal medication indefinitely.

Though no other relapse victim of the 2012 outbreak has been publicly identified, Peay said she came home to find a flood of e-mails and letters from other victims who said they, too, had suffered a second bout with the infection.

"I am doing better," she said. "But it's the worst thing all over again."

Before her relapse nearly three months ago, Peay had been feeling better and reported her life was beginning to get back to normal.

Officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday that no additional relapse cases have been reported beyond the five that were recorded when Peay was sent back to the hospital. State and federal officials have declined to say whether Peay's case is included in that official count.

The outbreak has taken the lives of 64 patients, 16 of them injected with fungus-tainted steroids in Tennessee.

A hearing in dozens of lawsuits stemming from the outbreak is scheduled Friday before a federal judge in Boston. Several motions affecting suits from Tennessee victims are slated to be debated.

SHARE 3 26 COMMENTMORE