by Maria Puente, USA TODAY
A second inquest into the 2011 death of British soul singer Amy Winehouse has again confirmed she died of accidental alcohol poisoning, the Associated Press is reporting.
A coroner in London on Tuesday recorded a verdict of "death by misadventure," saying Winehouse, 27, died in her London home in July 2011 as a result of alcohol toxicity following a couple of weeks of abstinence.
Long addicted to drugs and booze, the Grammy Award-winning singer had tried to kick her habits through rehab and had succeeded for a period. But she was found dead with empty vodka bottles scattered around, and her body had a blood-alcohol level five times the legal driving limit - above the level that can prove fatal.
Testimony at the inquest suggested Winehouse had suffered respiratory arrest after consuming so much alcohol; in effect, she had fallen asleep and never woke up.
The verdict was identical to the verdict of the first inquest, conducted shortly after her death. That verdict was thrown out because the original coroner was found to lack proper credentials. The second inquest began last month.
Winehouse's parents have since started a foundation in her name aimed at helping people kick their drugs and alcohol habits.
Copyright 2012 USATODAY.com