For the health community, 2018 brought a number of highs and lows. One low came as a major scare to parents across East Tennessee.
The outbreak sent a dozen children to East Tennessee Children's Hospital, some of them received treatment in the intensive care unit. Experts said the outbreak likely came from raw milk at a local dairy farm.
Another scare came from two flu seasons book-ending the year.
After the 2017 flu shot missed the mark and tens of thousands died, all eyes turned to the 2018 flu shot and its effectiveness. Experts say it's still early to tell, but doctors hope it will be more effective.
Mold also caused major problems and drew big health headlines after teams tested multiple University of Tennessee dorms for mold and one was completely evacuated. Student frustration and parental concerns followed. The university worked to get the students other options on and off campus.
The year was also filled with hospital headlines.
In October, Tennova announced the closures of two long-standing hospitals, Lakeway Regional and Physicians Regional (previously St. Mary's). However, those closures were met by a $115 million expansion to Fort Sanders Regional hospital's emergency units.
Finally, an East Tennessee mother accomplished her goal nine years after her son died of cardiac arrest when an AED was locked in another part of the school. Rhonda Harrill fought to pass a law requiring AEDs in every Tennessee high school. Then, in December, she and Congressman Jimmy Duncan passed a bill in the U.S. House encouraging all states to require AEDs in every school.