Yield 7 Dozen
• 6 large eggs
• 5 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 cups confectioners' sugar
• 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 cup shortening
• 3 teaspoons almond extract
• 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
• 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
• 1/2 cup warm whole milk
• 1 teaspoon almond extract
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Colored sprinkles
• Using a heavy-duty mixer, beat eggs on high speed until light and foamy, about 5 minutes; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, confectioners' sugar and baking powder; on low speed, gradually beat in shortening and extracts until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Gradually add beaten eggs (dough will be stiff).
• Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes (tops of the cookies will not brown, but bottoms should brown slightly).
• Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and extracts until smooth. As soon as cookies are removed from the oven, quickly dip two or three at a time into glaze. Remove with a slotted spoon or tongs; place on wire racks to drain. Immediately top with sprinkles. Let dry for 24 hours.
Presented by Chef John Alunni, Cutting Edge Classroom