KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Smoky Mountain Sushi
One bunch of fresh collard greens
10 slices of prosciutto (extremely thin-sliced country ham) I use Benton's Smoky Mountain Country Ham from Madisonville, TN
Black-eyed peas, either canned or cooked from dry. (You will need 1 cup for every 20 rolls)
- Triple wash the collard greens to remove all sand, shake dry, set aside on a dry towel.
- Lay out your ingredients in a "work area" or on a large cutting board.
- Cut each slice of Prosciutto across widest part so you end up with 2 "half moon" sheets per piece of prosciutto. (buy as many slices as you need for the crew you are preparing these for. Each slice of Prosciutto will yield 2 rolls)
- Place 1 cup prepared black-eyed peas out on your work area.
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a small sauté pan and quickly sauté the chopped collard greens in oil for 2 - 3 minutes. Do this quickly, so they do NOT lose their vibrant green color. Remove from pan and set aside on work surface.
- On each 1/2 slice of Prosciutto, place about 1 tsp of black-eyed peas.
- Add 1 tsp sautéed collard greens.
- Fold up ends to keep stuffing contained and root up like a little egg roll. Place seam side down so they don't "unroll"
- Place on a pretty dish and serve.
Presented by Amy Campbell, Tennessee Farm Table