x
Breaking News
More () »

Knoxville Breaking News, Weather, Traffic, Sports | WBIR.com

Rural Metro Fire: Overcharged batteries cause fire at South Knox Co. home, no injuries reported

Officials said the batteries were overcharged and ignited combustion products in the garage.

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Rural Metro Fire said lithium batteries are the cause for a fire at a South Knox County home Thursday night.

Fire crews responded to the fire at 8:27 p.m. at 3507 River Edge Circle and discovered light smoke coming from the garage.

Rural Metro said those living in the home, tried to put the fire out but fire crews finished extinguishing it. 

According to Rural Metro, the batteries were overcharged and ignited combustion products in the garage. 

Rural Metro also said no injuries were reported.

RELATED: How to customize the stories and alerts you get from WBIR

RELATED: Take 10! Sign up for the WBIR lunchtime newsletter