WILSON, N.C. — A man is accused of shooting his 5-year-old neighbor in the head in Wilson, North Carolina.
Neighbors say he walked up and fatally shot the young boy at point-blank range, while the child was sitting on his bike. Television station WTVD says police have identified Darius N. Sessoms, 25, as the man who killed Cannon Hinnant, who died Sunday night at a hospital.
Family members told WRAL the shooting happened outside the little boy's father's house, and his two sisters – ages 7 and 8 – watched their sibling get shot.
Sessoms was arrested Monday in Goldsboro after a search by police and U.S. Marshals. He is charged with first-degree murder and has been jailed without bond, according to The Wilson Times.
Detectives have not offered any information about possible motives, but police told WRAL the shooting was not random.
Hinnant's death marks Wilson's seventh homicide of the year. The city had a population just shy of 50,000 in 2018.
- Joe Biden picks US Sen. Kamala Harris as running mate
- Here's how to pronounce Sen. Kamala Harris' name
- 'Back the Blue' mural painted outside Tampa Police Department vandalized again
- Pinellas County School Board presses on with reopening plans
- Tropical Depression Eleven forms in the Atlantic
- 16 men arrested, accused of soliciting sex with minors who were undercover detectives
FREE 10 TAMPA BAY APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter