x
Breaking News
More () »

Knoxville Breaking News, Weather, Traffic, Sports | WBIR.com

Residential fire breaks out in South Knoxville house

When KFD firefighters arrived at the home, flames were through the roof.

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — A fire broke out in a South Knoxville home early in the morning on Nov. 27. The Knoxville Fire Department responded at 4:47 a.m.

Neighbors called the fire in after it broke out in a house on Peachtree Street. The one-story rancher house was under construction and unoccupied. There were no reported victims. However, KFD said that flames were visible through the roof by the time firefighters arrived.

The house caught fire despite a wet and rainy morning. It did not spread, and only the house appeared to be damaged. Firefighters brought it under control later Wednesday morning.

Heating equipment is the leading cause of fires in buildings undergoing a major renovation, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Meanwhile, the organization also reported cooking equipment is the leading cause of fires in structures under regular amounts of construction.

RELATED: KFD: Two men likely died from carbon monoxide poisoning inside South Knoxville duplex

RELATED: Rural Metro: Chimney and wood stove likely cause of fire at home on Miller Road