Yet another home has been lost to a fire over the Christmas and New Year's holidays in rural Knox County.

For the second time in less than a full 24 hours, Knox County Rural/Metro Fire crews responded to a call of a house engulfed in flames.

This time, the fire happened at an abandoned home at 3502 Howell Road in Mascot. Fire crews said, much like the fire on Christmas, the biggest challenge was transporting water to put out the fire because of an absence of fire hydrants in rural parts of the county.

► Related: Christmas Day fire claims home in Corryton

Tanker crews with Rural/Metro and the Blaine Volunteer Fire Department hauled water in as far as 3 miles away.

The building was a total loss and the owners of the abandoned property were notified.

Investigators said electrical power was still connected to the boarded up home, but the cause of the fire hasn't been determined yet.

This is the third fire that had to be battled in Knox County since Christmas Eve.

► Related: Fire engulfs West Knoxville home on Christmas Eve