The wreckage of a sightseeing helicopter that crashed Monday in Pigeon Forge, killing five people, was removed from the crash site on Wednesday afternoon.

The helicopter, owned and operated by Smoky Mountain Helicopter, was on what's called the "Pigeon Forge tour" on Monday when it crashed into a ridge behind the Tanger Outlet Malls and caught fire, according to National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) senior investigator Luke Schiada.

The tour was about 60 percent complete when the aircraft went down.

All five people on board were killed. The pilot was Jason Dahl, 38, of Sevierville, who had more than 1,300 hours of flight experience, according to his logs, which were examined by the NTSB. He had flown more than 870 hours in the Bell 206L helicopter, which was the model of aircraft that crashed.

MORE: Family remembers victims of Pigeon Forge helicopter crash

RELATED: Family rides with pilot one hour before deadly crash

His passengers were Johna Morvant, from Kodak, her two children, Peyton and Parker Rasmussen from Huntersville, North Carolina, and Peyton's boyfriend, Michael Glenn Mastalez of Prosper, Texas.

The wreckage was taken to a storage facility in Springfield, Tenn., where investigators can do a more detailed analysis in a controlled environment, according to Schiada.

Investigators will continue to work in Sevier County, gathering information on the pilot's experience and maintenance records, looking at maintenance logs, interviewing witnesses and other pilots in the area, and reviewing weather conditions.

Earlier on Wednesday, a Tennessee Highway Patrol helicopter flew the same route of the downed helicopter. An FAA inspector on board took aerial photos and gathered other information during that flight.

Schiada said all of the information will be gathered and put into a report that will be forwarded to the NTSB board in Washington, DC. The board will review all of the data and make a determination on the cause of the crash. It could take up to a year for the review to be complete.

There is still no information about how the victims died. The bodies were transported to the medical examiner for that determination. A witness told 10News that a man survived the crash, but he died soon after the witness reached him to try to help.

Smoky Mountain Helicopter has been in business since the mid-1960s. Schiada said they operate two aircraft, one based in Pigeon Forge and one in Cherokee, North Carolina. They employee four full-time pilots and two mechanics in Pigeon Forge.

GALLERY: Pigeon Forge helicopter crash