A woman in a wheelchair was carried to safety by a neighbor when her apartment filled with smoke due to burning papers Wednesday night, according to the Knoxville Fire Department.

KFD said the fire started in one apartment of a duplex in the 1800 block of Washington Avenue shortly before 8:30 p.m. The woman told officials she was burning canceled checks when the fire got out of control.

Officials said Chris Jones, a neighbor in the other apartment of the duplex, smelled smoking coming from the other unit. Jones kicked in the woman's front door and carried her outside while his sister called 911.

When firefighters arrived, smoke was coming out of the unit.

Fire officials said one person went to the hospital to be checked for smoke inhalation. There were no other injuries.