CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — UPDATE (9/15/19): Tennessee American Water said the water main repair is complete and people are slowing starting to get water back.
TAW said the problem was fixed early yesterday morning.
The water utility anticipates water to be fully restored by late tonight and the boil water notice to be lifted by the end of the weekend.
UPDATE (9/14/19): Thousands of people in Chattanooga will get their water service back Saturday after a massive water main break.
Tennessee American Water said repair work to the broken water main was completed, and people should expect complete service to be restored Saturday.
A boil water advisory is still in place.
ORIGINAL (9/13/19): Most of the western half of Chattanooga may experience low to no water pressure Friday after a large water main break Thursday night.
The break happened near Tennessee American Water's plant which is located at 109 Wiehl Street, according to a spokesperson.
TAW's spokesperson said customers in downtown and North Chattanooga may experience low to no water pressure.
Crews are working to restore water service as safely and quickly as possible.
The spokesperson also said more customers will be affected as the water main repairs are expected to take most of the day.
Jeff Bagwell with Rural Metro Fire in Knox County said Chattanooga has requested five water tankers to help with the situation. The tankers will be used to help keep the air conditioners running at hospitals in the affected area. The tankers are expected to leave from the Knoxville area around 2:30 p.m. and a crew of 12 will deploy for 48 hours.
The break left some downtown businesses without water and affected others, including the Tennessee Aquarium.
The aquarium said Friday its staff had been called in late Thursday night to respond. Its teams worked to make sure its animals stayed healthy, but said so far four of its fish, some urchins, anemones and sea stars had died in its Vancouver Island exhibit after the main break.
The aquarium said those animals were sensitive to warming waters and did not respond to attempts to chill the tank with ice. It has since been able to restore the chillers in both buildings and said the situation has 'drastically improved' over the past few hours. It will reopen once the water line is repaired.
There are several schools closed due to the water main break. All Hamilton County schools will be dismissing early Friday.
All Hamilton County government offices and Chattanooga City Courts will be closed Friday. Cases scheduled for Friday's hearing will be heard next Friday, Sept. 20.
Signal Mountain is also affected.
Other city buildings being closed on Friday are:
- City Hall, 101 E. 11th Street
- City Hall Annex, 100 E. 11th Street
- Chattanooga Public Library Downtown Branch, 1001 Broad Street
- Development Resource Center, 1250 Market Street
- WellAdvantage Center, 620 E. 11th Street
- Paul Clark Building, 900 E. 11th Street
- Internal Audit, 1001 Lindsey Street
- Workforce Development, 1001 Lindsey Street
- Westside Head Start, 501 W. 12th Street
- Youth and Family Development Administrative Offices, 501 W. 12th Street
- Avondale YFD Center, 1305 Dodson Avenue
- Bessie Smith Cultural Center, 200 M.L.K Boulevard
- Champions Club Tennis Center, 1096 Lupton Drive
- Carver YFD Complex, 600 N. Orchard Knob
- City Council Building, 1000 Lindsey Street
- East Chattanooga YFD Center, 2409 Dodson Avenue
- East Lake YFD Center, 3601 Dodds Avenue
- Fleet Garage - 12th Street, 904 E. 12th Street
- Fleet Garage - Amnicola, 3102 Aminicola Highway
- Frances B. Wyatt YFD Center, 406 Colville Street
- Facilities Management Building, 274 E. 10th Street
- Main Street Warehouse, 1815 E. Main Street
- Glenwood YFD Center, 2610 E. 3rd Street
- John A. Patten YFD Center, 3202 Kelly's Ferry Road
- North Chattanooga YFD Center, 406 May Street
- Outdoor Chattanooga, 200 River Street
- South Chattanooga Complex, 1151 W. 40th Street
- Traffic Operations Building, 1010 E. 11th Street
- Warner Park Concession - Cooke Field, 301 N. Holtzclaw Avenue
- Warner Park Fieldhouse, 301 N. Holtzclaw Avenue
- Warner Park - Frost Stadium, 1101 McCallie Avenue
- Watkins Street Facility, 1170 S. Watkins Street