VANCOUVER, Wash. – A 2-year-old girl is fighting for her life after her father threw her out a window at a Clark County motel Tuesday night, deputies said.

The suspect, 32-year-old Kyle Stephen Holder, then picked his daughter up and threw her to the ground repeatedly, before stomping on her head, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Deputies were called just before 9 p.m. to the report of disturbance with a baseball bat outside Sunnyside Motel on Highway 99. When they arrived they found a witness had stopped Holder's attack on his daughter by confronting him and hitting him with a baseball bat.

"The suspect was out of control," said Sgt. Fred Nieman of the Clark County Sheriff's Office. "Deputies tased the suspect to bring him under control and take him into custody."

The witness who hit Holder with the bat, Don Gilbert, said Holder had been acting strange all day and that police even came out in the afternoon because of his behavior.

“He’d been acting weird all day, preaching to God and all this weird stuff,” Gilbert said.

Gilbert was in his motel room Tuesday night when he said he heard a crash, looked outside the door and saw Holder stomping on the 2-year-old.

“I reached behind my door and grabbed my baseball bat and chased him onto the street,” Gilbert said. “I hit him once in the back. He had the baby by the feet, took her to the curb and slammed her down. That’s when I cracked him the in skull three or four times.”

Gilbert said he had seen Holder every day for two weeks but didn’t notice him behaving in the odd manner he was on Tuesday.

“He was just babbling about how God is coming for everyone and he has to get the evil out of the daughter. He kept coming every time I moved between him and the baby. He’d charge me and I’d swing the bat.”

Holder was taken to a nearby hospital, and in the ambulance he said, "I did not want to kill her, but I had to...I knew I had to crush her head," according to the arresting officer.

"I had to hold my daughter and crush her head so she could go up to the sky," Holder said when he arrived at the hospital, the court document says.

The girl was rushed to Legacy Emanuel hospital in critical condition with what deputies described as severe injuries.

Her mother said the two of them had been sleeping in the hotel room when Holder walked in and suddenly began the attack.

Holder was arrested on a $1 million bail and has been charged with attempted murder.

Gilbert is not facing charges.