(WMC) TSA discovered 2,653 guns in carry-on bags at checkpoints in airports across the country in 2015. That averages about seven firearms per day and 83 percent were found loaded. From 2014 to 2015, there was a 20 percent increase in the number of guns found by TSA.
Nashville International Airport, the 6th highest airport in gun catches for 2015, had 59 guns discovered in 2015. Five of the cities on the top 10 list were in Texas.
Top 10 airports for gun catches in 2015:
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW): 153
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL): 144
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport - Houston (IAH): 100
- Denver International Airport (DEN): 90
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX): 73
- Nashville International Airport (BNA): 59
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA): 59
- Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL): 57
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS): 54
- William P. Hobby Airport (HOU): 52
In 2015, TSA officers screened more passengers than the previous year. Roughly 708,316,339 million people went through TSA checkpoints in 2015. That’s 40,780,330 million more passengers than 2014.
TSA officers also screened 1.6 billion carry-on bags, 432 million checked bags and 12.9 million airport employees. More passengers are now using TSA Pre ®. More than 2 million travelers are now enrolled in the program.
Nationwide, less than two percent of passengers waited in line longer than 20 minutes.