Matt Lauer sat down with U.S. swimmer Ryan Lochte for the first time since Brazilian authorities said he fabricated the story about being robbed in Rio.
The NBC exclusive interview will air during Olympic primetime coverage Saturday night. NBC Nightly News will also be airing a preview of the interview after 10News at 6.
NBC Olympics executive producer Jim Bell first tweeted about the interview Saturday morning.
Well there's this. pic.twitter.com/gYH1jLdB31— Jim Bell (@jfb) August 20, 2016
Lochte is at the center of controversy in Rio after authorities said he and three other American swimmers vandalized a gas station bathroom after partying. The three were confronted by armed guards who demanded they pay money for the damages before they could leave.
Initially, Lochte's mother claimed he had been the victim of a robbery. The International Olympic Committee denied the robbery happened, but Lochte himself later came forward and claimed he and three other swimmers had been robbed, saying he should have been "more careful" that night.
Police later step forward to claim the robbery was a lie, and that the swimmers had vandalized a bathroom before being confronted by armed guards. Witness accounts claimed Lochte was acting unruly.
Lochte later came out and apologized for the incident. Gunnar Bentz, one of the American swimmers with Lochte, outlined the events to police, saying Lochte pulled a framed advertisement that was hanging on a brick wall and became belligerent after the guards pulled out their weapons.
"After Jack and I both tugged at him in an attempt to get him to sit back down, Ryan and the security guards had a heated verbal exchange, but no physical contact was made," Bentz said in his statement. "Ryan and the security guards had a heated verbal exchange, but no physical contact was made."
Bentz and another teammate, Jack Conger, were pulled off their plane Thursday before returning to the U.S. the next day. James Feigen, the swimmer who called in the robbery, was ordered to pay nearly $11,000 in damages for falsely reporting a crime.
The U.S. Olympic Committee called the incident a "distracting ordeal" during a time when other athletes were celebrating their big moments.
"The behavior of these athletes is not acceptable, nor does it represent the values of Team USA or the conduct of the vast majority of its members," said the statement from USOC CEO Scott Blackmun. "We will further review the matter, and any potential consequences for the athletes, when we return to the United States."