KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Some East Tennessee outdoor adventures don't require a trip to the Great Smoky Mountains. Sometimes they're available in natural spaces in our own backyards.
Sharp's Ridge Veterans Memorial Park in North Knoxville carved itself out as a popular spot for bird watchers, hikers, trail runners and mountain bikers with its adaptive and multi-use trails.
At just over 3 miles, the Sharp's Ridge Loop is considered an easy to moderate trek along three of the park's natural trails: Fire Break, Sharp Shin and Lincoln. Starting from the picnic area off Sharps Ridge Memorial Park Drive, the loop follows along the Fire Break Trail until it runs into Sharp Shin, continues on Sharp Shin until it runs into Lincoln Trail and runs back to the picnic area.
Reminder: These are multi-use trails so watch out for mountain bikers, runners and hikers along the way.
What to expect on the trail:
Sharp's Ridge Veterans Memorial Park also has a downhill, expert-only mountain biking trail called Gravity Jump and adaptive mountain bike trails. More information about these trails is available online.
Some tips before you visit:
- Wear sunscreen and bug spray.
- Pack plenty of water.
- Keep an eye on the weather.
- Pick up after yourself (and your pet).
- Keep your dog on a leash.
- Be courteous to other park visitors.
- Let others know before you pass on a bike.
- Keep to the right and pass on the left.
- Stay to the right of the trail to allow bikes to pass.
- Step off the trail if you need to stop.