PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. — UPDATE: 5:43 p.m. - Sevier County authorities say a Wears Valley brush fire has been 100 percent contained and that two people who reported the fire evacuated safely.
"The more it rains the safer we are and the safer everybody is the whole. The goal here is no loss of life no one getting injured and we lose no structures that’s still what we’re looking for," Tony Watson, Pigeon Forge fire chief said.
ORIGINAL STORY: At approximately 10:28 a.m. on Saturday morning, authorities say an emergency call was received regarding a brush fire on Raven’s Den Way in the Wears Valley Community.
Authorities report that a call came about two people who were at a cabin on Raven’s Den Way surrounded by fire.
Both persons were escorted by first responders without injuries.
The Sevier County Emergency Management Agency has activated the Emergency Operation Center in Sevierville.
Authorities also indicated a Command Post has been established at Valley View Baptist Church, 2219 Little Cove Road.
At 1:30 p.m. today, the brush fire was estimated to be approximately 60 acres in size. No injuries or structural damage have been reported. As of 5:17 p.m. today, the fire was approximately 90% contained according to a tweet from the Tennessee Department of Agriculture.
No evacuation notices have been given as yet.
High winds are expected to arrive early this evening between 6 p.m. – 7 p.m., with wind gusts up to 60-70 mph.
High Wind Warning
The National Weather Service has issued a high wind warning until 1 a.m. Sunday morning.
With severe weather approaching, citizens are encouraged to monitor the weather via local media, radio (1680 AM) and emergency social media and be prepared to take shelter or evacuate if needed.
For emergencies, call 911. For non-emergencies, call 865-435-3200.
A shelter has been established at the Pigeon Forge Community Center, 170 Community Center Drive in Pigeon Forge, for anyone who feels the need to evacuate.
Numerous first responder agencies have responded thus far, including:
- Wears Valley Volunteer Fire Department
- Pigeon Forge Fire Department
- Walden’s Creek Fire Department
- Sevierville Fire Department
- Gatlinburg Fire Department
- Sevier County Volunteer Fire Department
- Sevier County Fire and Rescue
- Sevier County Emergency Management Agency
- Tennessee Highway Patrol
- Sevier County Sheriff’s Department
- Seymour Volunteer Fire Department
- Catons Chapel Volunteer Fire Department
- Northview Fire Department
- Pittman Center Volunteer Fire Department
- Alcoa Fire Department
- Friendsville Fire Department
- Blount County Fire Department
- Townsend Fire Department
- TN Department of Agriculture Division of Forestry
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
FOR MORE ON WEARS VALLEY BRUSH FIRE